Battersea Labour Party is recruiting an organiser to lead its campaigning activity across the area for the upcoming local elections in 2018. This is an exciting but demanding opportunity to work as part of a team aiming to elect Labour councillors in key wards. The role will be key in contributing to a wider Borough wide effort to take overall control of Wandsworth Council, a flagship Tory Borough since 1978.
Battersea is the youngest and most educated constituency in the country; it is also one of the most unequal, with pockets of poverty alongside some of London’s most expensive housing. The membership base here is well-motivated and very active, having recently helped to elect Marsha De Cordova MP in the 2017 general election with a 10 per cent swing to Labour.
Battersea is only a 20 minute bus ride from Westminster, and has recently hosted visits from the Labour Leader and other high profile Labour MPs.
Remuneration for this full-time post will be £27,000 per annum. Flexible working, including weekend and evening work, will be required.
The post will be for a fixed term expiring on 31 May 2018.
Closing Date: 22 September 2017
Start Date: October 2017
How to apply:
To apply please send the following in a single MS Word or PDF file addressed to Kate Stock, Secretary of Battersea Labour Party, email@example.com by 5pm on 22 September 2017
- Your CV
- A brief covering letter outlining clearly why you think you are right for this post
- A statement, describing in no more than 400 words what you feel to be the more important aspects for motivating volunteers to work with Battersea Labour Party.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Job Title: Battersea Labour Party Organiser
Responsible to: Local Labour Party Line manager
Location: Battersea Labour Party Office
1) To build and maintain party organisation and campaign activity;
2) To establish and organise an effective election campaign for the 2018 local elections within Battersea, working closely with all Labour Councillors, Battersea’s MP, local election candidates and party activists.
- To work with council candidates to motivate and organise them in preparation for the 2018 election campaign
- To organise campaign events within Battersea by working with the Vice Chair Campaigns, ensuring campaign packs, clipboards and materials are prepared in advance
- To work with the candidates and local councillors to develop a message for campaigns, and to promote the policies of the Wandsworth Labour Group, and to ensure this is followed through in all communications
- To design and produce high quality campaign literature, including direct mails, leaflets and other written communications
- To develop effective communication systems with branches, members, other units of the Party and affiliated organisations to promote Labour’s achievements and Party activities
- To ensure leaflets are delivered inside the agreed timeframes, and delivery networks of members and volunteers are effectively maintained
- To work with the Vice Chair Membership to grow the activist base amongst members and supporters of the Party. To provide advice, guidance and training to members on election techniques, voter ID (doorstep and telephone), registration and postal votes
- To work with the Vice Chair Fundraising and Treasurer to ensure the continued maintenance of party funding
- To undertake data entry and casework follow up as required.
- To act as legal election agent for local elections if required.
PERSON SPECIFICATION - What we are looking for:
The sort of person we are looking for will have the following essential qualities, knowledge, skills and experience:
- Be self-motivated and able to motivate others
- Commitment to Labour values
- Ability to handle pressure and competing priorities
- Ability to work alone and in teams, and provide leadership where necessary
- Prepared to work flexibly and during unsocial hours, particularly in the evenings and at weekends
- Experience of organising campaigning in the Labour Party and/or women’s, youth, trade union, community or other voluntary organisations
- Experience of handling casework and/or general public enquiries
- General knowledge of the Labour Party, its policies, principles and organisation
- Knowledge of modern IT packages and Labour Party computer packages, including contact creator
- Oral communication skills including influencing and presentation skills
- Excellent written communication skills, including writing letters and designing campaign leaflets and other literature
- An ability to get on with a wide range of people, having strong negotiating skills and be able to motivate others to campaign for the Labour Party
- Excellent planning and organisational skills and attention to detail
In addition, it will be an advantage for the candidate to:
- Have specific experience of running a local election/ by-election campaign for Labour
- Have a proven track record of helping to get Labour candidates elected
- Have experience of being an election agent
- Have local knowledge of the Battersea area